We value your privacy and the security of your data is extremely important to us. This policy sets out where and how we collect your personal information and how it will be used, as well as your rights over any personal information we hold about you.
Your use of this website is governed by our terms and conditions
. Please ensure you have read and understood them in addition to this policy.
- Business Information
- Our promise to you
- What sort of information to we collect
- How will we use the information
- Who might we share the information with
- International transfers of your data
- Keeping you informed about Sainsbury’s products and services
- Your rights
- Links to other websites
- Sharing your thoughts
- Policy change
This website is operated by Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT, Company Registration Number: 3261722, VAT number: 660 4548 36. Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd is registered as a data controller under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998. Details can be found at www.ico.gov.uk
under number Z4722394.
Our promise to you
We respect, and are committed to protecting your privacy and will always process your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act and any other relevant legislation. We will not sell any information that identifies you to any third party without your consent and any information you give to Sainsbury’s will be held with the utmost care and security.
What sorts of information do we collect
Return to the top of page
- Information that you provide to us such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and payment card details.
- Information about the products and services you purchase from us.
- Information such as your computer’s IP address and anonymous information collected from cookies when you are browsing our website.
- Information from other sources like credit reference agencies, the DVLA, social media providers, marketing and research companies, as well as information that is publicly available.
How we will use the information
The information we collect may be used to:
- Process your orders;
- Allocate Nectar points if appropriate;
- Help us ensure that our customers are genuine and to prevent fraud;
- Conduct market research, either ourselves or by using reputable agencies;
- Conduct statistical analysis;
- Help us understand more about you as a customer and how you shop across Sainsbury’s companies, so we can serve you better;
- Help us to develop this website to make your shopping easier in the future;
- Contact you about our products and services if you’ve consented;
- Help answer your questions and solve any issues you have raised.
Who might we share your information with
- Our other Sainsbury’s companies like Mobile By Sainsbury’s and Sainsbury’s Bank - so we can provide you with a high quality service across our brand.
- Reputable partners, suppliers or agencies so they can process your personal information on our behalf…but only where they meet our strict standards on the processing of data and security!
- To allocate Nectar points, we will pass limited information to Aimia Coalition Loyalty Limited who operates the Nectar programme.
- New Sainsbury’s companies that we may develop in the future, either on our own or with others.
International transfers of your data
Keeping you informed about Sainsbury’s products and services
The information we communicate to you may be sent by email, SMS, social media, post or via telephone provided you have consented to us doing so. If you wish to amend your marketing preferences you can do so by clicking on "my account" and following the directions or by calling our Customer Care Team on 0800 636262.
We are a partner in the Nectar loyalty card scheme. That means that if you use your Nectar card when shopping with us you will be awarded points for most things that you buy. The points can be spent with us or with any other Nectar partner. If you use your Nectar card we can also see what products you have bought from us. That allows us to personalise the offers we send to you and understand a bit more about the kind of shopper you are.
Return to the top of page
In addition to our safeguards, your personal data is protected in the UK by the Data Protection Act. This provides, among other things, that the data we hold about you should be processed lawfully and fairly. It should be accurate, relevant and not excessive. The information should, where necessary, be kept up to date and not retained for longer than is necessary. It should be kept securely to prevent unauthorised access by other people. You have the right to see what is held about you and correct any inaccuracies. Should you wish to see any of the information held about you, please write to The Data Protection Manager, Sainsbury’s Legal Services, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT.
Links to other websites
Sharing your thoughts
When using our website, you may be able to share information through social networking accounts like Facebook and Twitter. For example when you ‘like’, ‘share’ or review our products. When doing this your personal information may be visible to other users of those sites, Sainsbury's or this website. Please remember it is your responsibility to set appropriate privacy settings on your social network accounts so you are comfortable with how your information is used and shared.
Return to the top of page
- We treat all the information we hold securely and with the utmost care.
- Your payment details are stored on our system in an encrypted format and can only be accessed when you place an order using your user name or email address and password.
- Please be aware that we will only ever contact customers requesting confirmation of account details if your card is declined at the point of payment (this is not the same as the automatic pre authorisation which happens when you order your products online), or in certain circumstances when a refund to your card is required as Customer Care Team do not have access to your payment card details.
- We will never ask you for your password.
- We advise you never to enter your account number or password into an email or after following a link from an email.
- In order to provide a safe, secure shopping environment for all customers and to ensure we only serve genuine customers, Sainsbury’s reserves the right to use reputable security devices and systems as necessary.